Monday, February 2, 2009

I know some of you have been patiently waiting for an update, but things have been fairly low-key. I haven't been feeling very well lately, so this past weekend was spent working on some assignments for class and resting. Thankfully I am starting to feel much better and I'm hoping that my cold won't get passed back to me again :)

This week in class we are focusing on the Baroque. Today was a very short day, we covered three Jesuit churches around Rome. The first one we went to is called Il Gesu, and it is the first Jesuit church...ever. It was built not long after the death of the Jesuit's founding father, Ignatius Loyola, whose tomb is in the church.




incredible Baroque fresco on the ceiling.


tomb of St. Ignatius


tomb of St. Francis Xavier, and that, my friends, is his arm.

The second church we went to today was called St. Ignatius...same guy.


ceiling


artificial dome...it's painted in perfect perspective to give the illusion that there is an actual dome in the ceiling.



Class ended pretty early today so Christine, Erin, and I went off exploring. We ended up finding the Rome Ferrari store!



Pretty cool! Then we went to my favorite gelato spot near the Pantheon and had a little treat :)



Ciao!

1 comment:

PG said...

What do you mean that's his arm? His actual arm? How is it preserved/presented and what's the story behind it?

Please also take some pictures of the outside of the churches since the outsides are usually quite interesting as well :-)

Love,

Daddy